If for some time you have been evaluating buying a lawn mower and you already have it with you, one of the first questions you ask yourself is “ What should we do to always keep it in perfect condition?”
With these tips that follow, you can enjoy your lawn mower for years to come, without damage and getting the same results as the first day.
Tips and safety measures when using a lawnmower
- Use the machine only for its intended purpose. Any other use may cause damage to the equipment, and pose a risk to the operator.
- Children should be prevented from playing with the appliance.
- You must carefully read the instructions for use, to know the machine and its components.
- The use of hearing protection is recommended when using the device.
Tips for Electric Lawn Mowers
- Do not use the equipment in the rain or in a humid environment.
- If the equipment generates vibrations, give it a rest period.
- Replace the power cord at the slightest damage.
Suggestions for gasoline lawn mowers
- Be sure to add fuel to the machine before starting work.
- Taking into account that fuel is highly flammable, it must be stored in containers for this purpose.
- In the event of a fuel spill, avoid starting the machine’s engine until all gases are dissipated.
- While using the machine, wear closed shoes and long pants.
- Check the area to be worked and remove, wires, stones and any objects that could interrupt the passage of the mower.
- Before each use, check that the blades and their bolts are not worn or damaged. If so, they must be replaced.
- Avoid working on wet grass.
- It is not advisable to work on slopes that are too steep.
- Keep your hands or feet away from the rotating parts of the cutter.
- Keep people and animals away from the work area.
- Wear eye protection with side shield and hearing protection.
- Stop the engine before crossing gravel roads, roads, or paths.
- In the event of striking a foreign object during use, immediately check the appliance for damage and make repairs as needed.
Recommendations for electric lawn mowers
1- Make sure to only use the appropriate power cables, no more than 45m long, and suitable for outdoor use.
2-Power the device with a medium of an appropriate current device.
3- Uncoil the cables before using them.
4- Adjust the cutting height with the engine off and the power cord disconnected.
5- Keep the power cord away from the blades of the appliance.
Recommendations for gasoline lawn mowers
1- When carrying out an inspection of the equipment or refueling, turn off the engine and disconnect the spark plug wire
2- Do not start the engine in closed spaces.
3- Reduce acceleration while turning off the engine.
4- Disconnect the self-propelled before starting the engine.
5- Check the oil level before each use, and add oil if necessary.
6- When refilling the fuel, fill the tank to the bottom of the filler neck.
Always check the oil level to avoid engine failure due to lack of lubrication. At the bottom or on some of the sides you will find a screw to drain the oil compartment.
Tip: For the oil to come out better, I recommend you start the mower for a few minutes so that the oil takes some temperature (without going overboard) and becomes a little more liquid, so when you remove the screw, it will fall by gravity itself with little effort .
1- So that all its components are well lubricated. The first oil change should be done after the first 4 or 5 hours of use .
2- Then, an oil change is recommended every 25 hours of use or at least once a year.
3- Normally an SAE 30 oil is used. SAE indicates the viscosity of the oil, which should not be too viscous or too fluid.
Cleaning the air filter
The air filter is made of foam or special paper, attached to the carburetor. It fulfills the function of preventing dirt particles from entering the engine. It is recommended to clean and renew the filter periodically to extend the life of the cutter.
To clean the air filter, pick it up and tap it gently on the floor to remove as much dirt as possible. Then rinse it off with soap and water and let it dry completely before reinstalling. After several cleanings it is advisable to change it for a new one, which is usually relatively inexpensive and changing it is of great help to preserve the engine.
Sharpen the cutting blades
We can affirm that in a lawn mowing machine the cutting blades are one of the fundamental elements and with the most wear. This is why you will need to keep them sharp to get good results.
With the daily use of your lawnmower you will find that the small stones or roots that we find in most of the surfaces of the gardens, tend to cause breakage in the blades, so we recommend that you observe them regularly, and before signs of wear them to a workshop to have them sharpened. We recommend that the sharpening of the blades be done by a professional. But if you do it yourself, be aware of the degree of deterioration of them, because the cracks make their use dangerous, and after two or three sharpening you will have to replace them with new ones