Domestic accidents are the cause of both large and small home tragedies. Taking care of our garden, and especially when cutting it, can be the cause of one of these misfortunes. Therefore, we offer you some tips to keep a garden in perfect condition thanks to your lawnmower and without suffering accidents.
There are many models of lawn mowers. Depending on the characteristics and dimensions of the land, we must choose one model or another. It is important to know how we will use the machine, since although it is true that we will use it throughout the year, the use will be more frequent in the rainiest season , when the grass will grow faster.
The more times we use the mower, the more times it will be necessary to set up the machine, so when buying it we must advise ourselves on its maintenance, technical breakdown service, spare parts …
Types of lawn mower
If the space to mow is reduced we can use a manual lawnmower , which is pushed by hand. The simplest are mechanical and only consist of a few blades. In case of not wanting to make so much physical effort, we can also opt for a self-propelled lawnmower with rotating and adjustable blades according to the height of the lawn.
If, on the other hand, the surface that we have to mow is wide, a minitractor mower will be necessary , which have seats and are driven with a steering wheel. Their cost is obviously much higher, but they are very comfortable to use.
For the maintenance of hedges and to finish off uneven or difficult-to-access areas, there are small electric motor and gasoline machines, known as hedge trimmers and brush cutters .
To eliminate grass and leaves in the garden there are blowers , tubes with a motor that generate very powerful air currents.
Other great secrets so that mowing the lawn does not become a cumbersome task is to choose the proper shape of the garden . Most gardens are square, but a curved or irregular shaped garden is much more comfortable to mow.
How to use the mower correctly
- The first thing we must do, and although it seems obvious it is not always done, is to carefully read the instructions to know the operation and possibilities of your machine. It is important that you know what types of materials you can cut safely, and which ones can jam the blades creating a hazard for you.
- Before each use make sure there are no loose parts in the machine . Also, do not forget to remove any forgotten objects that could block the mower such as balls or toys from the lawn.
- Do not run the mower indoors, always in open spaces where carbon dioxide cannot accumulate.
- While it is in operation it is very important to have any part of our body and our clothes as far away as possible from the machine. Never mow barefoot. Wearing the appropriate clothing and footwear, including protective glasses, will reduce the chances of an accident.
- Lawn mowers are devices that cut, as the name suggests, so we should never neglect it while it is on.
- In case of clogging with a stone, disconnect it before inspecting it.
- Make sure there are no children or animals near the machine while it is in operation.
- If the mower runs on gasoline , fill it outdoors and away from potential sources of ignition.
- If, on the other hand, you have an electric mower, never rush to cut the lawn when the grass is still wet. In addition, you must make sure that you have an extension cable in perfect condition and that you have the power regime required by the mower. To avoid damaging the extension cord too easily, start cutting the grass in the area.
- Once the job is finished, collect, store and protect the tools used. One of the possible reasons why we should change our mower is if it gets wet in the rain.
- Keep the mower in perfect condition and with sharp blades.
General lawn care
Having a beautiful lawn depends on a few factors to consider. Here are tricks to keep the grass always looking green in your garden:
- At each cut, you should not mow more than one-third of the blade of grass . This helps to develop a deeper root system, which favors the absorption of water and nutrients, especially in summer.
- Always keep blades sharp. The blunt blades tear the end of the grass blades, making it easier for disease to enter.
- Your lawn needs about 25 liters of water per square meter per week during the mowing season. Always try to water first thing in the morning. Water droplets left on leaves overnight can harbor harmful lawn diseases.
- Keep your lawn well balanced. To have a healthier and greener lawn, the first step is to analyze it. Know the PH, and the nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium content of your garden.
- Compost piles are the easiest way to recycle your garden waste. To form compost , it is only necessary to drive four 1.5 m long wooden or metal stakes into the ground 30 cm, forming a square. Next, cover three of its sides with chicken wire mesh. Mowed grass, chopped leaves, straw, and even vegetable kitchen waste can be thrown into the pile. Never deposit meat, bones, or vegetable residues that have recently been treated with normal or selective herbicides.