The modern market offers a large selection of different models of lawn mowers in a wide range of prices. But if you want to save money and do not want to mow the lawn manually, you can independently assemble a lawn mower from scrap parts and available materials based on an unused electric motor of various devices. The do-it-yourself lawn mower will cost much cheaper than its factory counterpart. She will allow to take care of the lawn, mow the lawn in a garden and in the country house. Also, you may be happy with the creative process itself.
Parts necessary for the assembly of a homemade lawnmower.
The mower does not belong to a number of essential devices. But its presence allows to facilitate the work of cutting the lawn, as well as increase labor productivity. Home lawn mowers are simply built on the basis of an electric motor. They consist of the same basic parts and assemblies as the factory devices:
- drive mechanism (electric motor), which provides rotation of the cutting nozzles;
- Frame designed to fix in it all the other structural elements of the mechanism;
- protective shell;
- pens that allow you to control the device while cleaning the lawn;
- two to four wheels;
- electrical control system: on / off buttons connecting the elements of the cable chain;
- power cord with plug;
- collection box.
It is necessary to ensure the safety of mowing the lawn. For this purpose, it is recommended that the equipment be connected via a residual current device (RCD).
All electric lawn mowers work on the same principle. When voltage is applied to an electric motor, its rotor begins to rotate. As a result, the shaft-mounted blade develops a high speed, while cutting grass stalks.
Choosing the right motor
As a unit, you can use a previously drawn motor, for example, from such devices:
- of the vacuum cleaner;
- from an old washing machine;
- of the grinder.
If you want to cut small spots, even an unnecessary power drill is sufficient. It does not need to be disassembled, but only to fix it upright.
A Soviet-style washing machine and vacuum contains almost all the parts needed to assemble the simplest lawn mower.
The best option if you need to mow a large area is to use an asynchronous electric motor (there is little noise at work) with a power of 0.5 kW or more. The recommended number of revolutions is 3000 per minute. The higher the rotational speed of the electric motor rotor, the faster the blades rotate, providing a more uniform and high-quality cut of grass.
The longer the installed knives are (the wider the adhesion of the working area), the lower the number of revolutions the motor can use due to an increase in the linear speed of the blades. Only their power, on the contrary, it should increase to outpace load growth. Household masters have proven by practical means that a device with a power of 1 kW and a rotor speed of 1500 rev / min will be quite efficient. At the same time, the seizure of the cut band is 0.5 m. If you use a low-power electric motor, you must constantly monitor the sharpness of the blades by sharpening them regularly.
When only 3- phase electric motor is available , you must connect it together with the start and phase-shift capacitors. They must be adequate in terms of engine capacity. Electrical connection diagrams can easily be found on the Internet or in special publications.
Materials required for the manufacture of other structural elements.
Knives – this is the working part of the tool, which provides for mowing the lawn. To make them yourself, you will need solid strips of high-quality, solid tool steel with a length of up to 50 cm, a width of 2 to 5 cm and a thickness of 2-3 mm. Thin nozzles work better, thicker nozzles are more durable.
Homemade knives for lawn mowers are made in different design options.
- In the form of a single strip balanced from the center with a length of 30 ÷ 50 cm with tapered ribs on the right side and a drilled mounting hole.
- The combined design consists of 2 edges 5 to 8 cm long that are fixed on a steel strip by one or two screws.
- In the shape of a disk.
Knife drawings are presented in the photo below.
Wheels with handle Can be taken from an old baby carriage. In fact, it is a frame made for a homemade lawn mower. The pens can also be made of metal tubes.
When choosing wheels, it is necessary to take into account that the optimal height of the knives from the ground surface is considered 5 cm. If you put 2 blades, then it improves the maneuverability of the unit being created, and if there are 3-4 pieces, the stability is higher. The wheels can also be cut from plywood and put together with bearings on the mounting shafts.
Protective cover for an electric motor, it can be made of tin, plywood or a part of a washing machine, the suitable model of which is shown in the photo below. At the same time, holes are made to ensure normal air cooling of the running electric motor.
From the lid of the washing machine you can also make wrapping around the knives.The platform for the installation of the motor is made of plywood or veneer. The power cord with plug is taken from old appliances, taking into account the power of the installed electric motor.
Tools and materials needed.
To make a lawnmower out of a grinder or washing machine at home, you will need to stock up on the following additional tools, accessories, and materials:
- electric drill
- grinder with discs for metal or electric puzzles with files for different materials;
- a hammer
- tape measure or ruler
- pencil or marker
- abrasive stone or sandpaper;
- Welder and electrodes for it (if you make welded metal joints, not bolted);
- on / off button (taken from the grinder or washing machine);
- bolts with nuts and washers (preferably panties);
- Metal corners or wooden bars.
Instead of the electric grinder or jigsaw, you can use a manual hacksaw or a wood saw with fine teeth. Pre-recommended also make a Home Mechanism drawing to get an idea of the final result, based on the available parts.
The algorithm for assembling mowers with a manifold from a washing machine.
The lawn mower is made of a washing machine, performing actions in this sequence.
- Make a frame (a platform for the motor), cutting a square of about 50 by 50 cm from a sheet of metal.
- In the center of the deck, drill a hole under the motor shaft.
- From the bottom of the square, the metal corners are welded around the perimeter or screwed on.
- Install your own (for example, as in the photo below) or remove it from the wheels of a suitable mechanism with iron handkerchiefs, or connect them with metal axles.
- Fixed on the electric motor platform. For flange holes drilled in metal, and for the usual corner welded frame under the legs, equipped with grooves.
- Attach the control lever.
- Under the platform is placed the housing of the lid of the washing machine.
- Install a DIY or ready-to-use blade, bolting it to the motor shaft.
- To protect the stem of the herb, place a regular can under the knife.
The mechanical part is collected after the action performed. After being harvested electrical circuit mechanism :
- install the switch, fixing it in a convenient place to the handle;
- connect the power cord with a plug;
- configure the RCD.
The final build will look like the photo below.
If you use plywood, you get an assembly, the possible appearance of which is presented in the photo below.
Grass catcher fixed at the end. It is made in the form of a box or bag. Some options are presented in the photos below.
It is necessary to cover the knives with a sheath, which will increase the safety of work. You can also close the cover with an electric motor to protect it from debris or water.
Grinder lawn mower.
Make a lawnmower from the grinder can be in different ways. The simplest option is to attach it to the platform, as shown in the photo below.
It is very easy to make a lawn mower from a grinder using a stroller . To do this, do the following:
- disassemble the stroller, leaving the wheels with a handle;
- cut a piece of board so that it is on the axles of the wheels;
- fix it, for example, ties;
- they also tie (clamps, wires) to the plate connection grinder, removing the power button;
- Attach yourself to the grinder nozzle with a fishing line or knife;
- Place the switch on the handle.
The created mechanism can be equipped with a housing that will protect against flying grass.
Craftsmen have created many different models of homemade lawn mowers. They differ both externally and in the complexity of the assembly. The most sophisticated devices have a mechanism to adjust the height of the knives above the ground. Picking up the mechanism with your own hands, you need to remember. personal safety . It is recommended to install such a power button so that once it is released, the engine will turn off.