Lawn at different levels, weeds and scruffy appearance; your wife and your children complaining, a temperature of 35ºC and, to top it all, you sit down to zap and that American gentleman with an enviable garden appears who cuts the lawn easily and quickly. Has the world turned against you?
Look at it as a sign. Maybe now is the time to buy a good, nice and cheap mower that cuts the grass fast and at a uniform height . Without great efforts and even remotely if you opt for a robot.
Of course, let’s face it: choosing the best lawnmower for your garden is not an easy task and getting lost in technicalities is.
But we have done the “dirty” work to help you and in this comparison we bring you the best lawn mowers on the market : gasoline, electric, with large capacity collection boxes, portable and even with a seat. Read on to find yours!
10 Best Lawn Mower For 5 Acres [ Updated 2021]
Rank #1: Greenworks 24V 13 inch Lawn Mower
With an axial regulation of cutting height of 5 levels – much more than any of the competition – you can easily preselect the cutting height, leaving your grass of desired length. The large 38-liter collection bag allows for extensive finishing and with the level indicator you will know for sure when to stop the process.
The practical carrying handle makes it very friendly when transporting it and its way of storing makes you have this tool in a small space. Einhell offers unrivaled benefits for amateur and professional gardeners. Search Amazon for today’s deal.
What do other buyers think?
“I bought it to give it to my partner and my husband is delighted to use it. Every week for two hours he cuts the grass, he is passionate about the garden, so he has served as an assistant in maintenance work, he does not take up much space in the garden. home and paid a reasonable price for its features. We are very happy with the purchase. “
Rank #2: Sun Joe 24V-X2-17LM 48-Volt 17-Inch Mulching Walk-Behind Lawn Mower
Bosch never tires of making life easier for its customers. Now with this new low weight model , with integrated combs that allow cutting in normally inaccessible places such as edges and walls makes this mower the best of 2018 . Guaranteed by this leading brand.
If you have not decided yet , which product should you buy ? This choice will not look bad on you. Its large collection box allows you to work longer with fewer emptyings. Give your weed a beautiful finish using 1 of 3 trim levels. Review it on Amazon and you will see that it has the best value for money .
What do other buyers think?
“I had never had a lighter mower than this, I couldn’t believe it until it came to my hands, in a formidable time, Amazon has no discussion in this. I easily carry it from the yard to the house and assembling and disassembling it is a task. comfortable and easy. Not to mention when cutting, it was quick, but I had to change the drawer a lot. Let’s see how long it lasts. “
Rank #3: Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower
For gardeners who are starting, Einhell brings this model with professional finishes, so from now on you can work like an expert. Three levels of cutting for an ideal care of the grass and a collection box sufficient for spaces of 300m2, this is the ideal one for your garden.
The built-in handle allows for ergonomic portability and in turn contributes to equipment folding for comfortable storage. Are you short on space? Feel free to buy this tool in the size you need. Also, its price is hardly surpassed by another brand, check it on Amazon.
What do other buyers think?
“I immediately opened it and started to put it together. Very messy with the box, but I was able, I think it is the greatest care to be taken when starting to use it. I have cut to test and it has gone well even with the weeds . My use is not so frequent, but definitely, in every garden, no matter how small it may be, a basic lawnmower is essential. I am not complaining about its price, it cannot give more. “
Rank #4: BLACK+DECKER Electric Lawn Mower
The most powerful engine on the market, with 4 times and an air cooling system makes it the best of 2018 . 7 height adjustable cutting levels and the largest collection bag of its kind. In a single moment you will cut your entire patio without stopping and with a taste that you will not stop until finished.
Greencut does not lower the quality, on the contrary you will see in this product the most solid plastic, the double-edged blade will give you a professional finish even when you are starting in gardening. Amazon has a special offer on this product. If you want robustness, look no further, you have come to the ideal place to buy the quality you are looking for .
What do other buyers think?
“It ‘s my second mower , I decided to test gasoline and have found it a bit more powerful than the previous one that was electric. I recommend it for large areas of more than 1,000m2. I liked it very quiet, comfortable and practical when using. I do not think another surpasses it in quality price . “
Rank #5: Mower Makita ELM3800
This product brings many advantages: a large box with a full bag indicator, easy to empty. 6 cutting positions that provide the opportunity to flush the grass. This electric and silent machine will leave you a manicured garden in extraordinary time. Makita is a leader in the field of gardening and always knows what you want.
For greater security, it comes with a double switch to avoid accidental starting. An ergonomic handle for easy folding and a handle that allows comfortable portability with minimal effort. This is your best choice to consolidate your gardening work.
What do other buyers think?
“Although they recommend it for small gardens, I have done very well cutting the grass on the farm. So I give it 4 stars because it was difficult for me to set it up. In my experience, it gives more than it promises and what remains is to take advantage of it for its fair value. For those who do not know what lawnmower to buy ?, with this option you will not lose.
Buying guide: which lawnmower to buy?
Now that you know which are the best lawn mowers on the market, you have gotten the bug and you want to know more to buy the best one for you, right?
Well, read on because here is our buying guide with tips.
What is a lawnmower?
It is a manual or motorized machine that is used to cut the grass in gardens, sports fields and any area sown with grass, among others. This tool achieves a green trimmed surface with the same height throughout the space. Likewise, it is known as a particular small type of mower with an adjustable cutting height within certain limits and adapted for use in gardens and parks.
They are considered tools that facilitate the maintenance of the grass at a custom height. The result after use is a beautiful, green and well-kept lawn.
Before there were lawnmowers, lawn cleaning was done 100% manually with a tool called a mower. This was tiring and time consuming work. Fortunately, today there are many alternatives, including lawnmowers, whether manual, fuel or electric, whose use will depend closely on the needs of each buyer.
Advantages of using a lawn mower
Due to lack of time and knowledge, many people are forced to hire gardening services to keep their patios in good condition, and this turns out to be an expense that can well be avoided by buying a quality lawn mower. Its ease of use and fast cutting of grass make it the perfect machine for anyone.
In addition to being very intuitive tools that will save you a lot of time guaranteeing good results, they are machines of excellent durability and that are prepared for different work environments. Some advantages of its use are the following:
- There are very light models: their ergonomics, their light weight and their wheels facilitate the cutting work, which turns out to be more comfortable and requires less effort than a manual cut.
- They are less noisy: thanks to their motors, they are machines that emit a minimum degree of noise, although this largely depends on the brand and model chosen.
- They are easy to handle: you don’t need great knowledge to handle them. Reading the instructions and having a basic knowledge of lawn mowing is enough.
- They cause less environmental impact: Electric lawnmowers are respectful with the environment.
- Accurate results. It goes without saying that the cutting blades and the technology they incorporate allow a more precise cut than when the gardener is responsible for cutting the lawn manually.
How to use a lawn mower?
As we have already said, it is very easy to use a machine to cut the lawn, but if you still have doubts you can take a look at the step by step that we leave you below and that you will have to put into practice to give use to your new tool. Of course, do not forget to read the manufacturer’s instructions first because each model has its own operating peculiarities.
- Use the correct equipment, that is, put on gloves, safety shoes, eye and hearing protection and, if you have, a jumpsuit to avoid dirtying or damaging your clothes.
- Check the power source. If you have bought an electric lawnmower you will need a nearby plug or an extension cord. If you bought it with gasoline, you will need to fill it with the proper level of fuel (read the manufacturer’s instruction guide for more information).
- Turn on your lawn mower. It can be through a button, lever or crank. Select the cut or height so that the blades do a uniform job.
- Check the space you are going to clean. Collect stones and large objects that could affect work and even cause damage to nearby windows if the machine comes across them.
- Use the machine properly and respect the speed and the manufacturer’s instructions for use so as not to damage the equipment
Types of lawnmower according to its energy system
These devices are very useful to keep your garden in excellent condition, likewise, there are many types that will be functional according to the area to be worked. Next, we will list each of them:
Manual lawn mower
They are ideal for small gardens, if you are not afraid to do a little exercise and do not mind performing siegas every 2 or 3 days in summer, this is the place for you. We can define a manual lawnmower as a device that has helical blades that work by pushing the operator. Its use is recommended for spaces less than 200m2, some manufacturers only recommend less than 100 m2.
Benefits of a manual lawnmower: Provides a perfect cut finish, allows really low cutting heights, does not require electrical current or gasoline for operation. It is considered an ecological equipment and does not emit any type of noise.
Electric lawn mower
These devices have an electric motor that is responsible for turning the blades.
Among the most popular electric models we have those that have a battery (rare), these have a limited autonomy, in addition to having a high weight and those that depend on a cable to receive the electricity supply. They are recommended for grass surfaces smaller than 600 m2.
Benefits of electric mowers: They are lighter and quieter than gasoline mowers, they start in the first pass, they only require an electrical outlet to work, they do not pollute and they have high energy efficiency.
- Self-propelled gasoline lawn mower
With these devices you don’t have to do the tedious task of pushing the mower. If you have a huge garden or lawn, you will appreciate that the mower moves by itself.
Its operation is very simple and does not need any sophisticated learning, just spending 5 minutes will be enough to familiarize you with the handles. It should be noted that one controls the movement of the blade and the other controls the march.
Benefits of self-propelled gasoline mowers: It is not necessary to push, this device does the job alone, if the area to be worked has steep slopes, the self-propelled mower is ideal, since you will not make a major effort to leave the area in perfect condition. area.
- Robot lawnmower
This is a particular type of lawn mower. They are autonomous, run on a battery and are self-propelled. Thanks to this the owner ignores the mowing process. It reaches its charging station when it reaches a certain lower battery limit. Which ensures that you will not need any human intervention in a long period of time.
Benefits of robotic lawnmowers: they are autonomous, this means that they need little intervention, they work with electricity, but in the same way they need to be connected with a cable, the grass is impeccable and with the same height and many of these can be managed through mobile apps and with smart speakers.
Parts of a lawnmower
The different elements or parts included in a lawnmower may vary depending on the type of lawnmower chosen and the technology it incorporates, but in general the fundamental parts are the following:
- Handle or handle. It’s the part you use to hold the machine and steer it through the garden.
- Throttle control. It is the lever with which you accelerate and give speed to the walk of your lawnmower. Be careful, because the higher the speed, the faster you will finish, but you must have experience controlling one of these machines if you do not want to have a catastrophic result.
- Motor. It can be electric or gasoline and is usually located inside a kind of protective box.
- Air filter.
- Collection bag. It’s in the lower back, right in front of your feet. It is used to collect the grass that you are cutting and not all lawnmower models include it.
- Cutting height regulator. It is the mechanism with which you can set the height of the cut to the centimeters you want.
- Blades. They are in charge of cutting the lawn.
- They are the ones that facilitate the movement of the machine through the garden and there are them of lower or higher quality, depending on the model you choose.
How to properly clean a lawn mower?
To properly maintain our lawn mower we must always take into account the needs it requires at the level of cleaning, especially once you have just finished cutting.
First, you must tilt the machine back to clean the interior area and remove any grass debris. Empty the basket where the cut grass is stored, if it has any. Use a hose to remove the debris and then dry the area well for storage.
It is also recommended to clean the wheels, chassis, belt and blades.
Remember that a neglected machine can deteriorate in the short term, so cleaning it is essential to avoid jams and excessive wear of the parts.
How to change the oil in a lawn mower?
When you decide to change the oil in your lawnmower, the first thing to do is vacuum the compressor or change it completely.
You can clean it with a brush using gasoline. Once you have finished this process, check how the oil is, and if it exceeds the hours recommended by the manufacturer it is evident that it is time to change it.
Best mower brands
The market is full of mower models and not all provide the quality that these outdoor products require. There are many manufacturers of lawnmower brands, but few that offer good value for money or technology that makes their models stand out from the rest.
Taking into account the characteristics of their models and the opinions of customers, the best brands are the following:
- Honda – This brand manufactures a large number of products for gardening, among which you will find models of self-propelled lawnmowers to the most modern manual mowers. This leading electronics brand does not stop growing and with it its undeniable quality, which is why it was chosen as one of the best companies of 2018. Globally recognized, Honda products speak for themselves when it comes to robustness, durability and innovation. Read the opinions of users about the wonders of this brand and make no mistake.
- Black + Decker –The smartest model on the market, wireless and with AUTOSENSE technology. This brand is not far behind in offering cutting-edge technology for precise cuts of different levels. Its typical rubberized handles give the operator maximum comfort and allow you to enjoy the activity as a pleasant opportunity to beautify your garden, large or small. For all these reasons, it is among the best lawnmower brands on the market.
- Bosch – This company knows what it takes to make efficient, accurate and safe garden tools. However, Bosch has always stood out for its catalog of products with very good value for money and that is precisely what you will find if you are looking for a Bosch lawn mower. Check out their manual and electric models and find yours.
Where to buy the best lawn mower?
There are many specialized gardening stores, both physical and online, but when it comes to finding a variety of brands and models and good prices, we are clear about it and we choose one of the following three:
- Lawn mower from Amazon: this is one of the best platforms that exist when it comes to buying a cheap lawn mower or one of the best brands. You will find domestic and professional models for very good prices and with the maximum guarantees.
- Carrefour lawnmower: they currently do not have a variety of models and most of their lawnmowers are low-end, so it may be the ideal store if you are looking for a cheap lawnmower to use very occasionally.
- El Corte Inglés lawn mower:they do not have a great variety of models, but they work with the best brands. Of course, the prices are higher than in the previous two.
Tips for choosing a good mower
When you start looking for the best and most functional lawnmower, it is necessary to take into account many technical characteristics to ensure that the investment you are going to make is the one that best suits your requirements and budget.
Next, we will list the most important factors that you should take into account before buying your lawn mower and further down, in our buying guide you will be able to expand information on what types of machines exist, better brands, how to use them and how to clean them correctly.
- Manual, electric or of fuel: manual cutters tend to be more affordable than electric or fuel models, but must take into account that the electric cutter is ecological fuel and provide for higher power. Each one has a characteristic that makes it unique, so only you know which of the types of lawn mowers based on the energy used to function best suits your needs.
- Surface: it is important that you define what you want the product for: what surface are you going to mow and what type of grass do you need to cut?
- Size, weight and portability– Larger machines can be more powerful, but also heavier, and that reduces the ease of maneuvering as well. If you are going to mow a more or less small area, invest in a light and portable machine that has good wheels to facilitate its movement on any terrain. The weights usually vary between 6 kg and 20 kg, so keep that in mind if you want to buy a lightweight mower.
- Budget: There are machines of all prices, so it will be easy to find a mower that fits your budget.
- Ergonomics: an ergonomic handle, a folding mower that facilitates storage, a handle that invites easy transport … It is important to pay attention to the technical characteristics that will make the handling and storage of your machine more comfortable and minimize efforts .
- Technology:if your budget allows it, you can also take a look at the robotic lawnmowers that move autonomously from a pre-established configuration and with the possibility of remote control, without lifting a finger. The more advanced the technology of the mower, the higher its price, but the easier the task of mowing will also be.
- Grass collection box. Some models do not include it and others include it too small. In general, the largest have a capacity of about 40 liters. Depending on the area you are going to mow, you will need a smaller or larger box.
How much money should I spend on my lawnmower?
Their prices vary according to the quality, the technology, the brand or the functionalities included. There are cheap lawnmowers and others that are probably over your budget. The key is to choose the one that meets your need and the price ranges are as follows:
- Lawnmower more economic ( less than 150 €): these are ideal for domestic work because they are low-midrange machines for cutting grass into smaller areas. They are very good value for money and are perfect for regular work at home.
- Lawnmowers of better quality ( more than 150 €) are the high – end professional models or ideal for use in more open areas such as athletic fields or large gardens, or for more professional jobs requiring higher speed. They should also be your choice if you are looking for optimal precision and perfect results in your garden.